Sunday, February 17, 2008

to iPod or not to iPod?

After class this week, I was thinking about my buying experience of the iPod. I thought I would share because I think it is somewhat of an interesting story.
So a few years ago, in the hype of the new video iPods and the huge memories available, I wanted an MP3 player. Coming from a home where most of my clothes were either hand-me-downs from my older sisters, or clothes I got for being part of a team, brands were not something I normally thought about. However when it came to this huge purchase (and it was, as I was paying for it myself) I was not about to jump in with any company. A lot of my friends had iPod or were expecting them for Christmas, and I did not know what to do.
Like I said, I was not a typical high school student, as much as I liked being a part of things, not necessarily cool, I liked to belong, but stand out at the same time. After getting my eyebrow pierced, I had to continue to live up to not following the norm.
I did some research online and compared prices and found out that the Sony Network Walkman was the same price as the iPod and everything minus the "click wheel". I thought to myself "This is perfect!" So off I went attempting to be counter-hegemonic by purchasing the not so cool MP3 player, but still being part of the movement. I loved it, I would call it my MP3 player, not an iPod, and I enjoyed the fact that it was Sony, still a respectable company, but not Apple. The player worked just fine and I had accomplished my goal.
Later that year during the summer, I broke my MP3 player, and when I went to get the part fixed, I was shocked to hear that the Sony Network Walkman, was no longer being made, thus I could not get it fixed. I was not impressed by this. Still to this day, I do not own an iPod (although I want to), and my Sony MP3 Player is still not fixed.
That's what I get for trying to go against the mainstream.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Unfortunately, when it comes to consumer electronics, you have to really know what you're doing if you want to do the whole non-conformist thing. I got my video iPod for Christmas '05, (hard to believe it's been that long,) and, for the record, it's been an incredibly satisfying product.

One minor thing I'd like to pick on: the "click wheel" isn't really the only difference between your old Sony mp3 player and an iPod. For instance, I think the biggest reason to get an iPod (or iPhone) is because of the synchronization with iTunes - arguably the best music cataloger available, and by far the most successful music retailer.

Then again, there are a lot of options out there. Go out and replace your mp3 player, you'll be glad you did. ;)

I. Reilly said...

thanks for sharing this story. i wonder, though, how you'll feel about your counter-hegemonic consumer practices when we discuss naomi klein and heath and potter. i suspect you might see things differently. at the same time, i understand the compulsion to resist maintream and highly popular technological forms; you have to choose your battleground.

you may not want to replace your mp3 player. i try to leave my ipod (circa 2003) at home because i like the sound of traffic buzzing and people talking.

i.